Angel Note

Angel Note
"If Music be the food of Love, Play on!" -- Wm. Shakespeare, Twelfth Night

Monday, October 12, 2009

All State Choir

Last weekend, my oldest daughter, my wife and I went to All-State Choir. Our clinician was the esteemed director of choral music at Westminster Choir College, of Ryder University, Dr. James Jordan. Dr. Jordan was very fun to watch, and kept moving so quickly I barely had time to assimilate new information before he was presenting new ideas in new ways to the choir.
    
There were over 700 voices involved in this choir, and Dr. Jordan continued to exclaim how amazed he was that they could produce the sounds they were creating. He was taken by the personal connection this choir was able to forge with him, each other, and the music, even though it was so prohibitively large. 
   
The music was astonishing, and the kids memorized it all before even meeting Dr. Jordan, which also astonished him. They had spent countless hours on their own, then more hours in area rehearsals before gathering at a northern school for three hours on Thursday evening, all day Friday, and for a couple of hours on Saturday. The concert was held in a rather famous hall, with a rather famous organ. 

 
   
During the rehearsals, at one point my daughter was called up on stage to help with a demonstration. I had to snap some pictures of that, then later, stole a shot with the three of us together. Dr. Jordan stated that he will remember this experience for the rest of his life. I know I will as well. My daughter told me that she isn't even upset about missing Homecoming anymore. She is only sad that the experience of All-State didn't last longer. I share that sentiment.

No comments: