Angel Note

Angel Note
"If Music be the food of Love, Play on!" -- Wm. Shakespeare, Twelfth Night

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Acceptance

I just saw a former student today. I was taken by the fact that now that this student is no longer in my class, I may never be able to "save " them.

I have always tried to be fair and impartial, but I find myself drawn to students who are having a hard life, and are losing the battle to keep their heads above the water, due to the circumstances of their upbringing. I am reminded of the saying that if children (esp. girls) do not get love at home they will find it wherever they can. I am also cognizant of the fact that for many youth today, love and sex are basically the same thing. It is sad to see how many girls, in a small town like ours, are buying pregnancy tests, and how many boys are spreading the disease (and not just pregnancy).

I've talked with graduating seniors who admit to having sex as 8th grade students! (Not to mention those being WITH 8th graders!) I have one former student who is (I think) a single mother dealing with addiction while trying to raise her child.

I know these things go on. I know they exist in the world, and I know that my actual influence in overcoming some of this stuff doesn't extend much beyond my own children, but this knowledge does not stop me from wanting to try. and it doesn't ease the sense of failure when I see those who are still in need.

I guess the most important thing is that I still feel the need to reach out to those who need it most, and I feel that I must try to save them while I have the opportunity. The one thing I've learned is that you can give away all your love without ever running out.

No comments: