Angel Note

Angel Note
"If Music be the food of Love, Play on!" -- Wm. Shakespeare, Twelfth Night

Saturday, December 5, 2009

The Early Worm!

Keeping with the theme of the pattern of some of my latest posts, I'd like to start by reminiscing about a sibling....

My brother Stick used to have a notebook in which he wrote quotes he had collected over the years. One of these quotes went something like this: "It has not yet been determined whether or not the early bird enjoys the worm as much as the late bird enjoys the extra sleep." (Source unknown)


I have been living my life lately in line with this sentiment. But, unfortunately, not from the bird's point of view! it has come to my attention, as I have tried to work late hours while still getting up early enough to get to my morning job on time, that neither of the above statements is particularly enjoyable for the WORM!
 
Think about this poor little guy....if he gets up early, the early bird gets him. If he gets up late, the late bird gets him. He's pretty much worked over either way. He stays up all night, simply because the late bird is out, then he has to watch out for that weird bird that actually likes to get up early!
 
So what I have decided is that things would be much better for me if I could just teach Night School. Sleep in later, still have most of the day to be creative/productive, then go to work.
 
Just recently, I started teaching voice at the local college. I have eight full-time students, and two half-time students. This means nine hours of teaching a week, on top of my regular teaching career. Add to that three hours commute per week, and the five hours I spend at the prison, and it mean I don't see my family much of the week.
 
We are starting the last week of the semester Monday (okay, tomorrow, since it is after midnight...). about half of my students have informed me that they are either changing majors, or are going to take voice from the head of the vocal department next semester. I don't blame them, I wish I could take lessons from him, too! This means that I will have a 50% reduction in my paycheck from the college for the next three months, but I have decided that since it also means I will have one less day of teaching each week, it might not be so bad after all.
  
So here I sit, at 12:20 a.m., contemplating lack of sleep...."to sleep. Perchance, to dream...." (Wm. Shakespeare)

1 comment:

Nene said...

So quit getting on the internet at midnight and go to bed. :0) (jk)