Angel Note

Angel Note
"If Music be the food of Love, Play on!" -- Wm. Shakespeare, Twelfth Night

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Lemonade Stand

As a teacher, I sometimes get to see students at their absolute worst. But I also sometimes get to see them at their absolute best. Today was one of those days.
   
The girls across the street are still in the elementary, so i get to see them every week in "Singing Time." Yesterday and today, they have been running a lemonade stand. They have a picnic table set up, with cups and a big jug of the refreshment. They stand out by the street every time a car drives past with a sign advertising their wares. 
   
I saw our former city Pageant Queen drive past, slow, turn around and come back to pay the 25 cents for each girl that they were charging for only one cup. They were excited just to see her turn around, and they chattered as they got ready for her.
   
I had only been mowing my lawn for a little bit when I heard a sound behind me. I turned to find the girls with me in my back yard, holding a cup. One of them was holding it out to me.
   
"Here," she said, smiling. "This is for you. It's free."
   
I thanked the girls, finished mowing the lawn, then got 25 cents to go across the street and buy another cup! Between the free cup, and the cups that got blown all over the yard by the wind, it's a good thing the girls made some money, because mom & dad probably paid more for supplies than the girls actually raked in!
    
Even so, it was a sweet gesture, and renewed my faith in the next generation!

1 comment:

Nene said...

What sweet girls!